Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The bad, the good. The good and the bad.

3 blog post in one month! I am on a roll.

This week we had the good and the bad come our way. Unfortunately Cameron's grandma, Grandma Palmer, broke her good leg and had to get surgery. Ever since I joined the family and from Cameron's recollection,  grandma had been on crutches for years. She had one good standing leg that she'd put all her weight on. With her good leg broken, we just don't know how life will change for her.

This was Grandma's 19th surgery. The good in this is that grandma wasn't alone when she broke her leg, and she had surgery in a hospital close to us. We had the pleasure going to visit her. Talk about a great woman, she had plenty to be angry about and was in pain, but she greeted Afton and I with warmth and was very optimistic. At this point, grandma's leg is more metal than bone, but she was sure happy to see us.

It broke Cam's heart to not be able to go up to visit grandma. Cameron has been been working so hard for our little family, (full-time work and school). He was able to call grandma on the phone and talk to her, grandma sure loves him. She kept talking about how much that phone call meant to her.

I repeat myself, what a great woman! You can see the love she has for every member of her family. It shows in her eyes. Which brings me to conclude that even when one is in pain, had surgery, and life is altered (even if it's for a small moment), that there is so much to be grateful for.

Afton has been going through a "I want my mommy" stage, where she cries if anyone else holds her. So, naturally when Grandma and Grandpa tried it would last at most 10 seconds before she started crying. I was able to get Afton down for a cat nap so Grandma was holding her while she slept.
Grandma kept telling me how much torture it was to hold her. (Meaning she loved every sleeping minute that Afton gave her).

Grandpa had 10 second luck! Just long enough for me to snag a picture.
Afton is part possum. She loves this position and this is the only way she'd left Grandpa hold her longer than 10 seconds.
Grandpa thought she was such a nut. He said, "I'd much rather look at your face, but I guess I'll take any end you'd give me." She is definitely our goofy girl.

The reoccurring message that was given to us this week is, good things happen to good people. Bad things happen to good people. Bad things happen to bad people and good things happen to bad people. Regardless of what choices you make in life, no one is exempt from feeling pain and hurt. Everyone will receive trials that will alter their lives, but misery is a choice. I'm so grateful for Grandma's example to teach us that in a crummy situation, being stuck in a hospital, having to rely on others to move and make you meals, there are so so so many blessing in this life. There is good in every situation.

So, bring it on. The bad, the good. The good and the bad, the Palmer's are troopers and will keep on keeping on. I pray that you all will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment